Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Still not fixed!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I am so about to give up. I have taken that stupid thing apart again and again, I have chased more leads and come to more dead ends than I can count. The last thing I checked, with Jims advise, was a possible problem with the throttle body gasket. I made sure the tps was set at .5V, then I removed the throttle body. The gasket had a little bit of oil like residue on it and seemed to be kinda wet (flimsy?) Anyway, I wiped it all off and there were no tears or cracks or anything, so I re-installed the throttle body. I reset the comp. and started her up. The idle was at like 1600 rpms and stayed there. I let it sit for like 20 min. and there were no problems. But the idle never dropped. I drove the car, and it ran like poo and started its goofy idle thing. Which by the way, when it starts this refrigerating idle, the tach is solid at 1500 rpms. Okay, So I try to adjust the idle screw. I hadnt touched it before. I reset the comp. again, started it up and the rpms were at like 900 - 1000. I got kinda excited, but after sitting for a minute, the frig came back. I reset again and went for a ride. Now here is the weired part, when I stopped, the idle had gone back up above 1500 again. Now it wont go back to 900??????? I feel like I am so close, but just not gettin it. Do you thing the gasket could be doing it? I will make a new one tomorrow.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member klintman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2001
    Posts
    319
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    people sometimes wonder why mechanic bills are so high when the part being replaced is like $5 (diagnostics / troubleshooting can = mucholabor).

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have to agree with that.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have not tried to spray the actual hoses. But I will when I get home. I was thinking the same thing about the comp trying to correct for something. I will keep everyone posted on what I come up with. Thanks for the help.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds like a vacuum leak. Have you tried spraying your hoses with carb cleaner to see if there are any cracks or visible vacuum leaks?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member SuperTeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    328
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds like what ever it is the ECU is trying to correct itself when you made your adjustment to the idle screw. Why dont' you either bypass your FIT under the throttle body or take it apart and make sure the plastic valve inside hasn't backed itself out and caused your idle to act stupid. This has happened to me once, but I had like 80K on my car and I'm sure you don't have that many miles. It's atleast worth a try. I took mine apart and tightened the plastic valve all the way down. It shouldn't ever give me a problem again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •